top of page

Beara United FC v Drinagh Rangers B

Beara United fc vs Drinagh Rangers B - Sunday 9th January. On a wet and windy Sunday morning, Beara United hosted Drinagh Rangers fc in the West Cork League, O'Brien's Water Services Championship. BUFC came into the match on the back of a defeat to league leaders Castletown Celtic, while Drinagh played their first game since 12th December. BUFC started the game in 4th place, 6 points ahead of Drinagh, who were in 6th place. Despite the heavy rain, which created difficult pitch conditions, the game kicked off and after 8 minutes, Beara United got the first goal, when Dean Murphy headed home a throw in from Tom Dickinson Drinagh equalised shortly afterwards in the 15th minute after the keeper almost saved a shot from Ranger’s Colin McCarthy, which found it’s way to the back of the net. Both teams were fighting for a second goal before half time and the game was very back and forth. With under 10 minutes to go in the second half, Drinagh started to put the pressure on, and kept the ball on the wing, but the Beara United defence were able to soak up the pressure and get to half time at 1-1 The second half started at a quick pace, with Beara pushing forward in numbers with numerous shots on target keeping the Drinagh goalkeeper very busy. In the 57th minute, a well worked cross from Beara, saw a flurry of chances. After a long-range effort from Declan Dunne was parried away by the Drinagh keeper into the danger area. After some pin ball in the Drinagh box with efforts hitting the post and being cleared off the line the ball from Dean Murphy eventually found its way into the back of the net. When Drinagh kicked off after the goal, BUFC immediately put the pressure on again, sending more numbers forward and only 3 minutes later, on the hour mark, James Harrington, while dribbling in from the left wing, dummied the goal keeper, to calmly slot home his 4th goal of the season to double the lead to 3-1. BUFC weren't satisfied with a 2 goal lead and kept looking for their 4th goal. Drinagh defended a number of attacks admirably and did well to get forward and try to close the gap while defending solidly. Rangers put an extra player forward, having 4 in attack, which gave them some great opportunities, which were saved by the keeper. Both teams fought for a goal, which made for some very good football in some awful conditions. Eventually in the 70th minute, Declan Dunne scored his second goal this season, making it 4-1. With a 3 goal deficit, Drinagh Rangers were desperate to pull one back and looked the more likely team to score in parts. They had a number of opportunities, which United dealt with well while under pressure, until the 85th minute when some build up play from the attack, led to Drinagh's Liam O'Brien, taking a shot, which United's goalkeeper could do nothing about, and closed the gap to 4-2. With only 5 minutes left to play, Beara United looked to close the door on any more potential attacks and solidify the defence, switching to a back 5, with Shane Power dropping into defence. Beara defended a number of attacks and looked to quickly counter, to increase the lead. One such occasion was in the 1st minute of stoppage time after the 90, when a quick break, saw substitute James Musgrove, bring the ball into the box and beat the Rangers goalkeeper. After a very entertaining match with plenty of opportunities, and performances that both teams can be satisfied with, the game finished 5-2, with Beara United taking home all 3 points

If you like to purchase any of the photos from here please contact me with the number on the photo top left hand corner.

If you like to purchase any of my photographs of Beautiful Beara go to my clicking on my shop here